A Hippie Manifesto - The Roots of Madness
In the heydays of soviet pharma-psychological warfare on the west, political manifestos like the above was flooding out of every other newly founded "liberation movement". Still, I always find it interesting to compare these political initiatives with the most basic objectives of soviet military psychology. This, in my opinion shows the only sound "method to the madness" of the hippie movement.
1. An immediate end to the War in Vietnam. . . .
Soviet Military objective:Justifying treason - Soviet victory in east asia.
2. Immediate freedom for Huey Newton of the Black Panthers and all other black people. Adoption of the community control concept in our ghetto areas. . . .
Soviet military objective: Freeing militant Soviet allies within the US
3. The legalization of marihuana and all other psychedelic drugs. . . .
Soviet Military objective: General demoralisation - Removing obstacles for the ongoing drug-offensive against Western youths
4. A prison system based on the concept of rehabilitation rather than punishment.
Soviet military objective: Unleashing criminals into society, causing break-down of law and order
5. . . . abolition of all laws related to crimes without victims. That is, retention only of laws relating to crimes in which there is an unwilling injured party, i.e. murder, rape, assault.
Soviet military objective: Removal of property rights, eruption of anarchy
6. The total disarmament of all the people beginning with the police. This includes not only guns, but such brutal devices as tear gas, MACE, electric prods, blackjacks, billy clubs, and the like.
Soviet military objective: Disarming the general public, neccesary to a communist take-over
7. The Abolition of Money. The abolition of pay housing, pay media, pay transportation, pay food, pay education, pay clothing, pay medical help, and pay toilets.
Soviet military objective: Economic distabilisation - capitalist sabotage
8. A society which works toward and actively promotes the concept of "full unemployment." A society in which people are free from the drudgery of work. Adoption of the concept "Let the Machines do it.
Soviet military objective: Demoralisation - Destruction of general work-ethics
9. . . . elimination of pollution from our air and water.
Soviet military objective: Lowering industrial productivity
10. . . . incentives for the decentralization of our crowded cities . . . encourage rural living.
Soviet military objective: Psychological Regression - Demodernisation and lowering of industrial productivity
11. . . . free birth control information . . . abortions when desired.
Soviet military objective: Decimation of future enemy combatants - Dechristianization - Increasing promiscuity, damaging morality of engaged and married soldiers abroad
12. A restructured educational system which provides the student power to determine his course of study and allows for student participation in over-all policy planning. . . .
Soviet military objective: Sabotage of knowledge flow, preparation for the socialist take-over of western education system
13. Open and free use of media . . . cable television as a method of increasing the selection of channels available to the viewer.
Soviet military objective: Removing legislative obstacles to soviet propaganda efforts in the west
14. An end to all censorship. We are sick of a society which has no hesitation about showing people committing violence and refuses to show a couple fucking.
Soviet military objective: General demoralisation - Dechristianization - Increasing promiscuity, damaging morality of engaged and married soldiers abroad
15. We believe that people should fuck all the time, anytime, whomever they wish. This is not a program to demand but a simple recognition of the reality around us.
Soviet military objective: Dechristianization - Replacement of the sense of duty and obligation with sexual indulgence and perversity.
16. . . . a national referendum system conducted via television or a telephone voting system . . . a decentralization of power and authority with many varied tribal groups. Groups in which people exist in a state of basic trust and are free to choose their tribe.
Soviet military objective: Creating pockets resistance outside US law
17. A program that encourages and promotes the arts. However, we feel that if the Free Society we envision were to be fought for and achieved, all of us would actualize the creativity within us. In a very real sense we would have a society in which every man would be an artist.
Soviet military objective: Replacement of interest in sciences relevant to military efforts (engineering, physics math etc.) with useless self-realization
Thanks to Millar for the tip!
And to the yippie museum for the above images
Consider viewing a similar analysis of Herbert Marcuses New Left propaganda here
Or the complete KGB Drugs and Dis-info series here
Or Joseph Douglass important book "Red Cocaine"